Resize Windows 2003 Server with Partition Magic Software
Are you looking for solution to resize Windows 2003 server partition since it is too small or too big? We understand that many IT admins set up their server partitions too small but then later a bigger partition is needed. The thing makes it difficult for you to resize server 2003 partition is that there are already system installed, and files stored and you do not want to reinstall system nor move files since it takes a pretty long time. How can we safely extend server 2003 partition when OS installed, files stored? This is a tutorial that we did with some magic partition software to resize Windows Server 2003 partition. (system partition can also be extended or shrinked in Windows 2003 safely)
Tutorial: resize server 2003 partition
- Firstly, download a free trial of Partition Wizard Server. (We tested this program to be very useful in disk management- resize, move, shrink, extend, enlarge...)
- Run the pwsed-setup.exe to install. It won’t ask you to reboot the server after installation.
- After installation, run the icon Partition Wizard Server Edition 4.0 DEMO to start.
- When it runs, you can see the start up screen.
Now we want to shrink the data partition to be 100GB and make 33GB unallocated space. The unallocated space will be redistributed to the boot partition.
- Right click G drive to shrink the data partition to be 100GB. When you right clicking the G drive, it will show options including “Move/Resize”, which is what we need to shrink the data partition to make 33GB unallocated space.
And it will pop up a box where you can drag the partition edge to make unallocated space.
Then right click partition F and reach the option “Move/Resize”, this time, we will move the whole partition to the right part of the unallocated space.
Then it is the same way to move partition E. And when the unallocated space is moved right to the c partition, then you can right click C to “Move/Resize” option to extend c drive with the unallocated space.
And after we claimed the unallocated space, you can see the present c drive is 43GB.
These are the steps to extend server c drive with Partition Wizard Server. Under the left part of the application, we can see the pending four operations listed.
Then to apply the changes, you need a full version to make the changes applied.
This solution helps these users
Here are a list of other same users that are in need of partition magic software to resize server 2003 partition:
- Dell windows server 2003 is running low on space and only has 500MB left, i need a safe way of resizing the c drive
- Need help on resizing a Windows 2003 server partition and is RAID card built raid5 partition...
- WD 500GB hard disk attached in RAID10 but backup partition is too small, can i move space and redistribute it to the backup partition? I don't want to damage the backup files nor move it a byte.
- Seagate 2TB disk with W2K server out of space on C, some one set the c too small and i want to extend it...
PartitionMagic, PQmagic, Partition Magic, the old one
We should be frank why we did not introduce the old partition software - PartitionMagic, also called PQmagic, Powerquest parttition magic, norton partition magic etc. This old software was developed many years but was purchased by Symantec and they stopped upgrading this program since 2003. PartitionMagic does not work with Windows Server 2003, nor Windows server 2008. People may know this famous program or heard it before. But this utility is not recommended by us. We do not want to recommend you some old, not latest OS compatible, bug issue troubled program. It is our principle for running this website.
According to the description of Partition Magic on its official site that it is compatible with the following systems,
- Windows® XP Home Edition/Professional
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT WS/Me/98/98SE
Partition Magic is compatible with the above systems. Then we can tell that Partition Magic does not support Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, never to say Windows 2008 Server or Windows 7.
And also they edited the truth of compatibility issues "PartitionMagic is compatible with Windows NT, 98, ME, 2000, and XP desktop editions. However, it is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, or 2003 server editions. It crashes if a Windows Vista partition is present, even if it is run from a different operating system, with the error "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". (This error can be avoided if the Windows Vista partition is configured using Windows XP instead of creating the partition using Windows Vista or its installation disk. To fix this, all partitions on the hard drive need to be deleted and formatted into new partitions using the Windows XP installation disk, allowing for a working partition for Windows Vista to be created.) The same error occurs in some conditions under Windows XP."
Why the famous Partition Magic became out of date? Maybe it is because Partition Magic was acquired by Symantec. No upgrade for Partition Magic keeps its bugs while another reason is Microsoft is a diligent company that they always arrange system upgrade. What can I say?
Without Partition Magic in Windows server world, a pretty nice program and so far the most stablest and safest server disk partitioning software is Partition Wizard Server Edition with best price and stablity.
- Partition Wizard Home Edition
- Acronis Disk Director Server
- Resize partition with partition magic
- Partition Manager Server
- Resize server Partition Wizard Server
- Change partition size Windows Server 2003
- Disk partitioning server 2003
- Enlarge server partition
- extend server c drive
- extend server raid partition
- free partition software server
- low disk space sbs 2003
- make a partition from c drive server 2003
- Partition Magic Windows Server 2003
- Server 2003 out of space
- windows 2003 low disk space
- server partition software
- Server partition software review
- free partition magic
- Partition Magic RAID 5
- Resize partition RAID 5
- Resizing boot partition raid 5