Best way resizing boot partition server raid 5
Is there any safe way to resize raid boot partition on Windows server? Don't worry, we will show you the steps safely extending, shrinking, moving partition even the boot partition but keep your system partition and data untouched.
Partition Wizard Server ranks Top1 in our review test among all partition server software. It works with all raid partitions, all server systems. Here are the steps to resize partition with it.
- Download a free trial and run it.
- Right click the partition which you want to change size, and go to "Resize/Move" on the show-up menu.
- Drag the partition rightwards to shrink partition and make some space available for redistribution
- Right click the system partition and choose Resize/Move. In the pop up window, drag the right borderline of the system partition to extend.
Then to apply the changes, then you can make your partition larger without reloading os nor moving files.
Recently we noticed that there was a raid 5 user asking resizing boot partition on raid 5 array.
The original question is:
I'm trying to resize the boot partition on a Dell Poweredge 2550 server running a PERC3/Di RAID controller. We have 3 drives in this machine and the array has two logical drives C: and E:. The C drive only has like 4 gigs available while the E drive has almost 30 gigs free. I'm using Volume Manager 2.0 but it won't let me redistribute the free space between the two logical drives. I tried to resize the larger E: drive down to about 26 gigs so I have 4 gigs of unallocated space. However it wont let me move or redistribute this space to the C: partition. Any ideas?
Resolution:(Volume Manager and RAID 5 partition)
To expand boot partition on server raid 5, in this case, we need to consider the following terms:
- A. Windows OS(server 2000 or 2003? since Volume Manager only supports Windows Server 2000)
- B. Raid array(Volume Manager only supports hardware RAID levels 0 and 5)
- C. Basic disk or dynamic disk(Volume Manager does not support to resize partition on dynamic disk. So far as we know, there is no partition software which could resize partition on dynamic unless converting the dynamic disk to basic.)
Why the server user failed to redistribute space to boot partiton? As the above compatible issues related to Volume Manager, we may know what kind of server enviroment this user may got.
As Powerquest was acquired by Symantec, Volume Manager2.0 was recently updated in 2005. Due to the upgrading of the hardware and system enviroment, Volume Manager2.0 (it does not support 2003 server)became a little bit outdated. To manage server 2003 partitons and raid 1, raid 10 etc, we recommend server partiton software - Partition Wizard Server to do the tricks.
This tutorial that heps
Whenever you run into server partition size limits, you may rely on this tutorial for guiding you out of size problem. Here are some users that this article helps them out of the 2003 partition resizing problem.
- Dell Powervault, boot partition with 5 raided is running out of space. i need a larger boot partition
- Need to resize raid 5 config and i don't want to reload server os. how may i extend c with free space from d drive? d contains database files, which are pretty large. i don't want to move it to other place, just want to shrink d and redistribute d space to boot partition.
- Need to increase space on boot partition, it is built with raid 5. Dell server
- Best way and ensured safety of system of resizing raid 5 array partition...
- Partition Wizard Home Edition
- Acronis Disk Director Server
- Resize partition with partition magic
- Partition Manager Server
- Resize server Partition Wizard Server
- Server 2003 out of space
- windows 2003 low disk space
- Partition Magic Windows Server 2003
- Partition server 2003 64bit
- Repartition server 2003
- Resize c drive raid 5
- Resize c drive windows server 2003
- Resize SBS
- Resize windows 2003 partition
- Resizing 2003 partition
- Resize server 2003 system partition
- sbs server 2003 partition software
- volume manager server 2003
- Add space to RAID 5
- extend server raid partition
- Partition Magic RAID 5
- Add space to root partition 2003
- Server partition software review